Building-facade mosaic, Ecaterinovca

Sign in to check in

A mosaic on a building facade in Ecaterinovca, a village in the Cimișlia district on the Cogâlnic river, about 7 km north of the town of Cimișlia. The village has an unusual history: it was founded in 1908 as a colony of Bessarabian Germans (German Jekaterinowka), whose inhabitants were resettled „home to the Reich” in 1940; in the Soviet period it housed the headquarters of the „Cimișlia” collective farm, specialising in fruit-tree nurseries and viticulture, and had a school, a cinema club and a clinic. A mosaic panel was set on the facade of one of the village's buildings — as was the fashion in the 1960s–80s — but its artist, year and subject are not recorded anywhere. The work is listed in the „Mosaics of Moldova” (Buretz) inventory; no openly-licensed photograph of the mosaic exists, however (the Commons coverage shows the town hall, the Museum of the Bessarabian Germans and the war memorial, but not the mosaic), so its imagery cannot be described from a verified source.

Neighborhood
Ecaterinovca, r. Cimișlia